Thursday, October 14, 2010

What is the purpose of this blog?



I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have always loved the picture above of Jesus Christ knocking at the door. If you notice, there is no door handle. This tells us that Jesus is always there, knocking at the door, but the handle is on our side. We must open our lives to Him and He will be there. I have been very blessed in my life in so many ways and I'm so grateful for all that my Savior has done for me. Lately, I have been taking a Doctrine and Covenants class and have been learning much about the gospel. The Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of divine revelations and inspired declarations given to Joseph Smith, the prophet. I hope to share what I have been learning through this blog. You can read the Doctrine and Covenants online at http://new.lds.org/

Our purpose on this earth is to learn to become more like our Savior, Jesus Christ. In D&C 41:5 it says a disciple is "a follower of Jesus Christ who lives according to Christ’s teachings." This tells me that we can all be disciples of Christ if we learn of Him and follow His teachings. Even though we cannot be perfect in this life, as He was, we can still strive to be more like Him. I will post things I learn that I feel will help me to become a disciple of Christ.

We believe that the Heaven's are open and that God still speaks to His prophet on the earth today. The Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of such modern revelations. We were fortunate to have just heard from our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson at General Conference a couple weeks ago. I love him and always look forward to hearing him and his apostles speak to us. How blessed we are. Please watch the video below of Jeffrey R. Holland that explains this further.


No comments:

Post a Comment